Center of Learning and Innovation - An initiative by Khetee
What are the factors that contributes to people leading a happy, just and peaceful life in the
communities we work with? This question fuels the vision of Khetee and is at the heart of the work that we do. While we attempt to define these factors through our core focus areas of work, and create objectives and strategies around it, flexibility and innovation will be fundamental to Khetee' function as an organization in the dynamic social environment of Lakhisarai
khetee means farming in Sanskrit. khetee is a non-profit organization founded in 2017.Based in Durdih village, the organization focuses on improving the agronomic status in Bihar. Khetee operates from a remotely located village in Bihar.
Khetee Intervention -Ecologocal Agroforesty in the village Durdih
The project is focused on promotion of ecological agro-forestry to encourage tree plantation in a way to benefit the small or marginal farmers and restore the broken ecological system. The model involves production and marketing of vegetable and fruits as a method to target core problems in farming by expanding proven innovations in the field of agriculture. As a result, farmers will gain confidence in their ability to get more from less by modifying their crop-management practices.
About 75% of Indian population is dependent on farming. In Bihar the percentage is even higher up to 80%. Poverty in Bihar, which is one of the highest in the country, is mainly due to the poor status of agriculture in the state. The major issues associated with agriculture here are lower-productivity, micro-ownership of land, lack of access to external resources like finance and market. It is to address these issues that khetee will introduce a farmer focused intervention model. Durdih and the villages around where our work is largely focussed are remotely located and have a larger population of marginalised communities. Availing the opportunities even in farming or otherwise is a challenge in both awareness and access.
Khetee is developing a farm where innovations in farming practices are tested and the knowledge then could be expanded to the farmers’, which include woman, children and youth. The farm will be space where farmers can get a hand on experience on trying innovative ideas, get inspired by new improved practices and can be sensitized on excess chemical use and other bad practices in farming. We plan to build a resource center equipped with necessary resources including books, computer, internet, etc. through which farmers can not only be updated with new inventions in farming and others but also be self sufficient to explore solution for their problems.
Khetee Proposed Intervention -
I. A community resource center
Khetee wants to build a resource center where creation and expansion of knowledge take place. Equipped with resources to acquire knowledge and awareness, the center will be a space where common problems be discussed and solution could be collectively created. The center will have all the modern tools including a library, computers, internet, tablets, etc. that can facilitate the farmers to use the resources independently. Initially, facilitators at the center will acquaint the farmers with the resources thereon encouraging them and empowering them to use the resources independently.
II. A farm school - We want to set up a school beside the agroforestry that we are building. The agroforestry is itself is a great source of knowledge. We want to develop it into a Model School that incorporates the elements we have identified as important for a contextually relevant educational system in Lakhisarai. The school will take children from landless or micro farmers, orphans and children with single parents. The school will have a maximum of 100 students.
The focus of the school will be on –
• Innovative methods to bolster and scale the use of existing technologies.
• Create affordable opportunities for undeserved communities to access digital technologies.
•Promote equitable use of digital services and technology, empowering marginalised communities to overcome barriers to digital literacy and education.
• Digital Education outreach program which involves use of technology to teach rural communities.
• Awareness through Screening movies and videos.
•Experimenting with and standardizing pedagogy that encourages socio-emotional
• Using proven online space for learning i.e. Khan Academy, Gupta toys and other such space.
• Development of a contextually relevant, future readying and culturally inclusive
curriculum with major inputs from the local community.
• Developing the school as a Green School, with the least possible ecological impact through its functioning through finding alternatives to packaged consumables, natural building etc.
• Construction of a hostel that can accommodate 80 children from far flung villages.
• Creation of micro-enterprises within school to make the school more self-sustainable and as a practice platform for the students in entrepreneurship.
• Capacity building and strengthening of School Management Committee as a key driver of the management of the school, and also as a gateway to larger community engagement programs.
If you have any questions